Halitosis simply means bad breath. Depending on the cause, bad breath may strike on occasion or be a persistent condition. The most common cause of bad breath is bacteria in your mouth.
Since the mouth is moist and warm, it’s the perfect environment for the millions of bacteria that live in your mouth.
In fact, approximately 80% of bad breath is caused by oral health issues.
Our Wyoming halitosis dentist will be able to determine if halitosis treatment is necessary.
Some types of bad breath — like morning breath — are considered fairly normal and are not usually health concerns. However, persistent bad breath may be a sign of more serious problems with the gums and teeth. When halitosis home remedies don’t work, you’ll need to schedule an appointment with our Wyoming family dentist.
Bad breath may be caused by the following:
- Poor dental hygiene, which allows food particles to decay in mouth
- Mouth infections like periodontal (gum) disease
- Respiratory-tract infections in the throat, sinuses, or lungs
- External agents like garlic, onions, coffee, cigarettes, and chewing tobacco
- Dry mouth caused by salivary gland problems or mouth breathing
- Illnesses such as diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, or reflux
Call our office promptly if you have bad breath with painful swollen gums that bleed easily or loose teeth. We will perform a physical examination of your mouth to determine the cause. If we discover that systematic problems are the cause, we may refer you to your family physician. In severe cases of gum disease, we may recommend a specialized periodontist.
Dr. Helmus DDS at River Ridge Family & Cosmetic Dentistry is dedicated to helping patients maintain good oral health. If you are experiencing halitosis symptoms, call our Wyoming family dentistry at (616) 538-7320.